不。我没这么想。我所想的是…
what could have happened to this girl to make her think she had no way out?
happen: 发生
到底发生了什么事会迫使这个女孩只能如此选择?
-Rose: Well, I…It was everything. It was my whole world and all the people in it.
因为,我…是所有的事情。我身处的整个环境和我身边的人。
And inertia of my life…plunging ahead, and me, powerless to stop it.
inertia: 惯性 plunge: 陡峭地下倾,猛冲 ahead: 向前 powerless: 无能为力的
生活的惯性…向前推进,而我却无力阻止。
-Jack: God, look at that thing. You'd have gone straight to the bottom.
straight: 直接地 bottom: 水底
天啊,看看这个戒指。带着这个掉下海会直接沉底的。
-Rose: Five hundred invitations have gone out. All of Philadelphia society will be there.
hundred: 百 invitation: 请柬 society: 上流社会,社交界
五百份结婚请柬已经发出去了。费城所有的名流都会来。
And all the while, I feel…I'm standing in the middle of a crowded room…
all the while: 一直,始终 in the middle of: 在…中间 crowded: 拥挤的
但此刻,我觉得就像…被困在茫茫的人海里…
Screaming at thetop of my lungs, and no one even looks up.
scream: 尖叫 at the top of: 在…的顶峰 lung: (复数)声音,嗓门
拼命挣扎,大声呼叫,却没有人理会我。
-Jack: Do you love him?
你爱他么?
-Rose: Pardon me?
pardon: 宽恕,原谅 pardon me: 请再说一遍
你说什么?
-Jack: Do you love him?
你爱他么?
-Rose: You're being very rude. You shouldn't be asking me this.
rude: 粗鲁的
你真无理。你不应该问我这个问题。
-Jack: It's a simple question. Do you love the guy or not?
simple: 简单的 guy: (男)人,家伙
这是个很简单的问题。你爱不爱他?
-Rose: This is not a suitable conversation.
suitable: 恰当的 conversation: 交谈,谈话
我们谈论这个问题不合适。
-Jack: Why can't you just answer the question?
answer: 回答
为什么不能干脆的回答我?
-Rose: This is absurd. You don't know me and I don't know you…and we are not having this conversation at all.
absurd: 荒唐的 not at all: 根本不
这太荒唐了。我们俩刚认识,互不了解…我们根本就不该谈论这个话题。
You are rude and uncouth and presumptuous…and I am leaving now. Jack, Mr.Dawson,it's been a pleasure.
rude: 粗鲁的 uncouth: 粗野的,不文明的 presumptuous: 自以为是的 leave: 离开 pleasure: 乐事
你很无礼,很粗鲁,还很自以为是…我要走了。Jack,Dawson先生,很高兴与你交谈。
I sought you out to thank you and now I have thanked you…
sought: (seek的过去式)寻找
我是来向你道谢的,我已经道过谢了…
-Jack: And you've insulted me.
insult: 辱骂
而且还骂了我一顿。
-Rose: Well, you deserved it.
deserve: 应得
啊,那是你自找的。
-Jack: Right.
好吧。
-Rose: Right.
好吧。
-Jack: I thought you were leaving.
你怎么还不走。
-Rose: I am. You are so annoying. Wait, I don't have to leave. This is my part of the ship. You leave.
annoying: 讨厌的 leave: 离开
我正要离开。你真讨厌。等等,我干嘛要走,这是我的地盘。该走的是你。
-Jack: Well, well, well! Now who's being rude?
rude: 粗鲁的,不礼貌的
好,好吧。现在是谁无礼?
-Rose: What is this stupid thing you're carrying around? So, what are you, an artist or something?
stupid: 没趣的 carry around: 随身携带 artist: 艺术家,画家 or something: (口语)诸如此类的事物
你随身携带的这破玩意儿是什么?怎么,你是个画家?
These are rather good. They're very good, actually. Jack, this is exquisite work.
rather: 相当 actually: 其实 exquisite: 细致的 work: 作品
画的还不错。其实相当不错。Jack,这些真是细致的作品。
-Jack: They didn't think too much of them in old Paris.
think much of: 认为…很不错
可巴黎的人不怎么喜欢。
-Rose: Paris? You do get around for a…A person of limited means.
get around: 旅行 limited: 有限的 means: 财产,财富
巴黎?你去过的地方还真不少虽然你…你在经济上并不宽裕。
-Jack: Go on, a poor guy. You can say it.
go on: 继续 poor: 贫穷的 guy: (男)人,家伙
直说好了,我是个穷光蛋。你可以说出来。
-Rose: Well, well, well. And these were drawn from life?
draw: 绘画 from life: 根据实物
太好了。这些都是实物写生吗?
-Jack: That's one of the good things about Paris. Lots of girls willing to take their clothes off.
willing: 愿意的,乐于 take off: 脱掉 clothes: 衣服
巴黎就这点好。女孩子们都不怎么在乎裸体。
-Rose: You liked this woman. You used her several times.
several: 几(个) time: 次,回
你一定是喜欢这个女人。有好几幅都是画她的。
-Jack: She had beautiful hands, you see?
beautiful: 美丽的
她的手非常美,瞧。
-Rose: I think you must have had a love affair with her.
love affair: 恋爱事件
我觉得你一定非常迷恋她。
-Jack: No. Just with her hands. She was a one-legged prostitute. See?
leg: 腿 prostitute: 卖淫者,妓女
不。只是迷恋她的手。她是个只有一条腿的妓女。瞧。
-Rose: Oh.
哦。
-Jack: She had a good sense of humor, though. And this lady…she used to sit at this bar every night…
sense of humor: 幽默感 sense: 感觉 humor: 幽默 lady: 女士 bar: 就把
但是她很幽默。哦,你看这位女士…她每天夜里都坐在这个酒吧里…
wearing every piece of jewelry she owned…just waiting for her long lost love.
piece: 件 jewelry: 首饰 wait for: 等待,等候 lost: 失去的,丧失的 love: 爱人
戴着她所有的首饰…为了等她久无音讯的恋人。
We calledher Madame Bijoux.
madame: (法语)夫人,女士 bijoux: (法语)=jewelry,珠宝
我们都叫她“珠宝夫人”。
See, her clothes are all moth-eaten.
moth-eaten: 破旧的
看,她的衣服都破了。
-Rose: Well, you have a gift, Jack. You do. You see people.
gift: 天赋
嗯,Jack,你很有天赋。真的。你会观察人。
-Jack: I see you.
我也能观察你。
-Rose: And?
我怎么样?
-Jack: You wouldn't have jumped.
你不会自寻短见的。
-Ruth: But the purpose of university is to find a suitable husband. Rose has already done that.
purpose: 目的 university: 大学 suitable: 合适的,适当的 husband: 丈夫 already: 已经
上大学是为了找一个好丈夫。Rose已经找到了。
-Countess: Look, here comes that vulgar Brown woman.
vulgar: 庸俗的
看,那个庸俗的Brown夫人来了。
-Ruth: Quickly, get up before she sits with us.
quickly: 快,迅速地 get up: 站起来
快点,我们走,我可不想和他坐在一起。
-Molly: Hello, girls. I was hoping I'd catch you at tea.
hope: 期望 catch: 赶上
女士们,你们好。我还想和你们一起喝茶呢。
-Ruth: We're awfully sorry. You missed it. The Countess and I were just off to take the air on the boat deck.
awfully: 很,非常 miss: 错过,未赶上 countess: 女伯爵,伯爵夫人 off: 离开 take the air: 到户外散步 boat deck: 救生艇甲板
很抱歉。我们刚刚喝完了。伯爵夫人和我正准备去甲板上散散步。
-Molly: What a lovely idea. I need to catch up on my gossip. Countess.
lovely: 令人愉快的 catch up on: 得到…的消息,弥补 gossip: 闲话,闲谈
真是个好主意。我也想和你们聊聊。伯爵夫人。
-Ismay: You've not yet lit the last four boilers?
not yet: 还没有 light: 点燃 boiler: 锅炉
还有四个锅炉没点火?
-Captain Smith: No, I don't see the need. We are making excellent time.
need: 必要 excellent: 极好的 time: 时间,时限
是的,我觉得没必要都点火。船速已经够快了。
-Ismay: The press knows the size of Titanic. Now, I want them to marvel at her speed. press: 新闻界 marvel: 惊奇,对…感到惊奇 speed: 速度
新闻界知道泰坦尼克号是超级巨轮。现在,我想让他们也对她的速度感到惊奇。
We must give them something new to print.
print: 印刷,出版
我们得给他们些新闻写。
This maiden voyage of Titanic must make headlines.
maiden: 处女,首次的 voyage: 航行,航海 headline: 头版头条新闻,头版重要新闻
泰坦尼克号的处女航一定要上报纸头条。
-Captain Smith: Mr. Ismay…I would prefer not to push the engines until they've been properly run in.
prefer: 选择 engine: 发动机,引擎 properly: 适当地 run in: 使试转,使磨合
Ismay先生…引擎是新的,我想等它们运行进入状态再提速。
-Ismay: Of course, I'm just a passenger. I leave it to your good offices to decide what's best.
of course: 当然 passenger: 乘客,旅客 leave to: 留给…处理 offices: 任务 decide: 决定
当然,我只是个乘客。该怎么做您自己决定。
But what a glorious end to your final crossing…
glorious: 光荣的 final: 最后的 crossing: 横渡 get into:进入,到达
但这是你最后一次出海航行了…
if we were to get into New York onTuesday night and surprise them all.
Tuesday: 周二 surprise: 使吃惊,使惊讶
如果能让船周二晚上到达纽约,轰动舆论。
Make the morning papers. Retire with a bang, eh, E.J.? Good man.
morning paper: 早报 retire: 退休 bang: (口语)惊人的成功,引人注目的成果
早报马上就会登出来。这样成功地退休如何?好极了。
-Jack: After that, I worked on a squid boat in Monterey…then I went down to Los Angeles to the pier in Santa Monica…
squid: 乌贼,墨鱼 pier: 码头
后来,我又在蒙特瑞的渔船上工作…然后又到了洛杉矶,在圣塔莫尼卡的码头…
and started doing portraits there for 10 cents apiece.
portrait: 小肖像,画像 cent: 分,一份钱硬币 apiece: 每件
替人画肖像,每幅画一毛钱。