verify: 查证
明早9:30我们会向银行查证的。
-Chris: what?
什么?
-Man: You gotta stay until this thing clears.
你得待在这儿直到这事处理完为止。
-Chris: No. No, I can't spend the night here. I have to pick up my son.
不行,不,我不能在这儿过夜。我还得去接我儿子。
-Man: You verify at 9:30 tomorrow.
我们明早9:30向银行查证。
-Chris: Sir, I have a job interview at Dean Witter at 10:15 tomorrow morning. I cannot stay…
长官,我明天早上10:15 要去Dean Witter公司面试,我不能待在这儿。
-Man: 9:30 Tomorrow morning.
明早9:30。
-Chris: What am I supposed to do with my son?
supposed: 让
那我儿子怎么办?我儿子怎么办?
-Woman: Is there anyone else who can…?
还有别人能照顾他吗?
-Chris: I take care of him.
我照顾他!
-Man: Maybe we can go and have Social Services pick him up.
也许我们可以叫社工去接他。
-Chris: All right. Can I have my phone call, please?
好吧,我能打个电话吗?
-Linda: Hello.
喂。
-Chris: Hey.
嗨。
-Linda: What do you want?
什么事?
-Chris: You gotta get Christopher from daycare. I can't. Just keep him for the night and I'm… And… Just one night.
你得去幼儿园接Christopher,我不能…呃…就照顾他这一晚上,我…我会…就今天一晚。
-Linda: What happened?
出什么事了?
-Chris: I'll pick him up from daycare tomorrow. I'm gonna go right… You can just… You can drop him off and I'll pick him up.
pick up: 停下来把…带走 drop off: 把…放下
我明天会去…幼儿园接他,我会直接…你只要…你把他送去,我会去接他的。
-Linda: No.
不行。
-Chris: Come on, Linda. Why you doing that?
别这样,Linda为什么你…
-Linda: No, I wanna take him to the park. To Golden Gate after daycare tomorrow.
不,我想带他去公园…去金门大桥…明天幼儿园后。
-Chris: How is he?
他现在怎么样?
-Linda: He's fine.
他很好。
-Chris: All right, just… All right, take him to the park…and bring him back, all right? All right, just bring me my son back.
好吧,好吧,带他去公园玩吧。把他送回来,好吗?只是…把我儿子送回来。
Okay? Linda?
好吗?Linda?
-Linda: I'll bring him back around 6.
我6点左右把他送回来。
-Chris: All right, all right. Thank you. Bye. I'm okay? Excuse me. Excuse me.
好的,好的,谢谢,再见。可以走了吗?对不起,借过。
-Man: Yes, I did.
好的,知道了。
-Woman: Mr. Gardner. This way. It'll be right this way.
Gardner先生,这边请,就在那边。
-Man: What is the word on that one?
那上面是什么?
-Woman: Chris Gardner.
Chris Gardner到了。
-Chris: Chris Gardner. How are you? Good morning. Chris Gardner. Chris Gardner. Good to see you again.
我是Chris Gardner,你好,早上好Chris Gardner,Chris Gardner 又见面了。
Chris Gardner. Pleasure. I've been sitting there for the last half-hour…trying to come up with a story,
Chris Gardner,见到您很荣幸,我在外面坐了半个多小时一直想编出个理由,
…that would explain my being here dressed like this.
dress: 打扮,衣着
向你们解释我这身打扮出现的原因。
And I wanted to come up with a story that would demonstrate qualities… that I'm sure you all admire here,
demonstrate: 证明 quality: 品质 admire: 赞赏
想编出个故事说明我身上,拥有你们所欣赏的优点…
like earnestness or diligence. Team-playing, something.
earnestness: 坚定 diligence: 勤奋
比如诚实,勤奋,团队精神等等。
And I couldn't think of anything. So the truth is…I was arrested for failure to pay parking tickets.
arrest: 逮捕 failure: 失败
结果我却什么都想不出来。事实是,因为没能付清停车罚单我被拘留了。
-Twistle: Parking tickets?
罚单?什么?
-Chris: And I ran all the way here from the Polk Station, the police station.
我是从警差局…警察局一路跑来的。
-Man: What were you doing before you were arrested?
被拘留前你在干什么?
-Chris: I was painting my apartment.
apartment: 一套公寓房间
我在粉刷我的家。
-Man: Is it dry now?
现在干了吗?
-Chris: I hope so.
希望如此。
-Man: Jay says you're pretty determined.
determined: 坚决的
Jay说你一心想进我们公司。
-Twistle: He's been waiting outside the front of the building…with some 40-pound gizmo for over a month.
gizmo: 小玩意儿
没错,他拎着个40磅重的玩意儿,在公司门口等了一个多月了。
-Man: He said you're smart.
他说你很聪明。
-Chris: Well, I like to think so.
我自认是有些。
-Man: And you want to learn this business?
你想学这行?
-Chris: Yes, Sir, I wanna learn.
是的,先生,我想学。
-Man: Have you already started learning on your own?
已经开始自学了吗?
-Chris: Absolutely.
当然。
-Man: Jay?
Jay?
-Twistle: Yes, sir.
是的,先生。
-Man: How many times have you seen Chris?
你见过Chris多少回?
-Twistle: I don't know. One too many, apparently.
apparently: 显然
我不清楚,好多次了吧,应该。
-Man: Was he ever dressed like this?
他有穿戴成这样吗?
-Twistle: No. No. Jacket and tie.
jacket: 夹克衫
不,没有,都是西装领带。
-Man: First in your class in school? High school?
Chris,你在班上是第一名?高中?
-Chris: Yes, sir.
是的,先生。
-Man: How many in the class?
班上一共多少人?
-Chris: Twelve. It was a small town.
12人,那是个小镇。
-Man: I'll say.
我就说嘛。
-Chris: But I was also first in my radar class…in the Navy, and that was a class of 20. Can I say something?
radar: 雷达
我在海军服役时是雷达班的第一名,那个班里有20人。我能说几句吗?
I'm the type of person…if you ask me a question, and I don't know the answer…I 'm gonna tell you that I don't know.
type: 类型
呃…我是这样的人,如果你问的问题我不知道答案,我会直接告诉你“我不知道”
But I bet you what. I know how to find the answer, and I will find the answer. Is that fair enough?
但我向你保证,我知道如何寻找答案,而且我一定会找出答案的。这样可以吗?
-Man: Chris. What would you say if a guy walked in for an interview……without a shirt on…and I hired him? What would you say?
hire: 雇佣
Chris,如果有个人连衬衫都没穿,就跑来参加面试,你会怎么想?如果我最后还雇了这个人,你会怎么想?
-Chris: He must've had on some really nice pants.
pants: 短裤,裤子,长裤
那他穿的裤子一定十分考究。
-Twistle: Chris, I don't know how you did it dressed as a garbage man…but you pulled it off.
garbage: 垃圾
Chris,我难以理解你穿成这样来面试,但是你刚才的表现很不错。
-Chris: Thank you, Mr. Twistle.
谢谢,Twistle先生。
-Twistle: Hey, now you can call me Jay. We'll talk to you soon.
现在开始叫我Jay,回来聊。
-Chris: All right, so I'll let you know, Jay.
好的,我会给你答复的,Jay。
-Twistle: You'll let me know, Jay? What do you mean?
给我答复?什么意思?
-Chris: Yeah, I'll give you a call tomorrow sometime…
我明天会给你电话的。
-Twistle: What are you talking…? You hounded me for this. You stood here…
hound: 逼迫
你说什么?是你找我的,你当时就站在那里…
-Chris: Listen, there's no salary.
salary: 薪水
实习期没有工资。
-Twistle: No.
没有。
-Chris: I was not aware of that. My circumstances have changed some…and I need to be certain that I'll be…
aware: 意识到的 circumstances: 情形
我并不知道没有工资,现在我的处境变了。我需要确定我能…
-Twistle: All right. Okay. Tonight. I swear I will fill your spot. I promise. If you back out, you know what I'll look like to the partners?
fill: 填满 spot: 职位 partner: 搭档
好的,今晚给我答复。如果你不把握这机会,我马上给别人。如果你现在放弃,你知道股东会怎么看我吗?
-Chris: Yes, an ass… A-hole.
知道,把你看成混蛋。
-Twistle: Yeah, an ass A-hole, all the way. You are a piece of work. Tonight.
是啊,把我看成混蛋,肯定是的,你还真不简单啊。今晚给我答复。
-Chris: There was no salary. Not even a reasonable promise of a job.
reasonable: 合理的
没有工资,甚至连工作都没有保证。
One intern was hired at the end of the program from a pool of 20.
pool: 储备
实习结束时,20人中只有1人受雇。
And if you won't that guy…you couldn't even apply the six months' training…to another brokerage.
apply: 申请 training: 训练 brokerage: 经纪人
如果受雇的那人不是你的话,这6个月的培训还不适用于…其他经纪公司。
The only resource I would have for six months…would be my six scanners, which I could still try to sell.
resource: 资源 scanner: 扫描机
这6个月里,我的经济来源…就是那6台扫描仪,我还能继续推销那玩意。
If I sold them all, maybe we might get by. I got him. I got him.
如果能全卖掉的话,也许我们能熬过去。我来,我来。
-Linda: He's asleep.
他睡着了。
-Chris: All right.
好吧。
-Linda: Okay, baby.
到了,宝贝。
-Chris: I got it.
我拿着了。
-Linda: I'm going to New York. My sister's boyfriend…opened a restaurant, and they may have a job for me there.
我要去纽约了,我妹妹的男朋友…开了家餐厅,可能会给我份工作。
So I'm going to New York, Chris.
我要去纽约了,Chris。
-Chris: Christopher's staying with me.
Christopher和我一起。
-Linda: I'm his mom, you know? He should be with his mom. I should have him, right?
我是他妈妈啊,他应该和他妈妈在一起的。他应该和我在一起,对吗?
-Chris: You know you can't take care of him.
你知道你照顾不了他的。
-Linda: What are you gonna do for money?
那你怎么挣钱?
-Chris: I had an interview at Dean Witter for an internship…and I got it. So I'm gonna stand out in my program.
我去Dean Witter公司参加了个实习面试,我被录取了,所以我会开始接受培训。
-Linda: Salesman to inter backwards.
salesman: 推销员 backward: 向后的
从推销员倒退到实习生?
-Chris: No, it's not.
不,不是。
-Linda: I gotta go. Tell him I love him, okay? And… I know you'll take care of him, Chris. I know that.
我得走了,告诉他我爱他,好吗?还有…我知道你会照顾好他的,Chris。我知道的。
-Woman: Dean Witter.
Dean Witter公司。
-Chris: Yes, hi. Yes, I'd like to leave a message for Mr. Jay Twistle.
你好,呃…我要给Jay Twistle先生留言。
-Woman: Your name?
你的名字?
-Chris: Yeah, my name is Chris Gardner.
我叫Chris Gardner。
-Woman: The message is:
留言是:
-Chris: Thank you very much for inviting me into the program. I really appreciate it and I'd be very pleased to accept your invitation.
appreciate: 感激 invitation: 邀请
非常感谢邀请我参加培训,真的感谢您,我非常高兴接受您的邀请。
-Woman: Is that all?
就这些吗?