prey: 牺牲者,捕食
Coram神父想知道孩子们是被关在哪儿了。
It is a place they call Bolvangar.
那地方叫Bolvangar。
A place of fear.
fear: 恐惧
恐惧之地。
A regiment of Tatars with wolf-daemons guards it.
regiment: 团 Tartar: 鞑靼人
由一个鞑靼步兵团和他们的守护狼保卫着。
Birds do not fly above.
连一只鸟都不能从上面飞过。
Animals flee from it.
flee from: 从……逃出来 flee: 逃走,逃跑
动物们都远远地跑开了。
Even the Samoyeds fear it.
即使是那些Samoyeds人也害怕那地方。
It is a week's march from Trolleund on the coast of Norway.
march: 进军 on the coast: 在岸上
那地方距离坐落于挪威沿岸的Trolleund还有一周的路程。
You will find something to help you in Trollesund.
在Trolleund你会找到帮手的。
You will need all your courage.
courage: 勇气,勇敢
你需要鼓起勇气。
I'm glad I've lived long enough to see you… Child.
很高兴我能活着看到你……孩子。
-Pan: Can you see anything? Lyra, you're not listening to me!
什么东西要帮我们?你能看出什么来吗? Lyra,你没在听我说话啊!
-Lee Scoresby: That's a mighty fancy clockwork you got there.
mighty: 很非常 fancy: 想象的,奇特的 clockwork: 发条装置
你那个充满想象力的小玩意儿不错嘛。
-Lyra: It's just a toy.
一个玩具而已。
-Lee Scoresby: Uhuh. Then it's a mighty fancy toy.
嗯哼,那就是个充满想象力的小玩具。
How did you come by something like that?
你是怎么得到那东西的?
-Hester: Oh lord, Lee when are you gonna learn to mind your own business?
mind: 介意,专注于 business: 事情,商业
哦,天啊,Lee,你什么时候才能学会少管闲事呢?
-Lee Scoresby: I do beg your pardon. Lee Scoresby. And this old girl is Hester.
beg: 祈求 pardon: 宽恕,原谅
打扰了,我叫Lee Scoresby,这位老姑娘叫Hester。
I'm Lyra. This is. Pan. Pantalaimon
我叫Lyra,这是Pan. Pantalaimon。
-Lee Scoresby: Mighty pleased, Miss Lyra.
认识您不胜荣幸,Lyra小姐。
You rode in with them Gypsian fellows, am I right?
你是和那些吉普赛人一起来的,我说的对么?
Here I go again. Don't answer that.
哦,我又犯毛病了,别回答我。
-Lyra: What are you doing in Trollesund, Mr. Scoresby?
您在Trollesund干什么,Scoresby先生?
-Lee Scoresby: Oh, a friend of mine got himself into a fix.
fix: 困境
哦,我的一位朋友在Trollesund有点儿事。
So I come to see what I can do about it.
我过来看看能不能帮上什么忙。
-Lyra: Me too.
我也是。
-Lee Scoresby: Of course, that ain't my normal occupation.
normal: 正常的,正规的 occupation: 职业
当然了,这不是我的正式职业。
Most of the time I plan my trade up in the sky.
trade: 贸易,商业
大多数时间我都在天上讨生活。
-Lyra: You're an aeronaut!
aeronaut: 飞船、气球驾驶员
你是个气球驾驶员!
Can I go up in your ship?
我可以坐您的船么?
-Lee Scoresby: I'd be honored.
honor: 荣誉
荣幸至极。
Just as soon as I get her out of hook.
hook: 钩子
等我把她从钩子上解下来就成。
Miss Lyra, I'd like to give you a word of advice.
advice: 建议
Lyra小姐,我打算给你点儿建议,来自一个老驾驶员。
If I was on the kind of scout, that I reckoned you are,
scout: 搜索 reckon: 测算
如果我被盯梢了,我觉得你就是处于那种状态。
I'd hire myself an aeronaut, and an armored bear.
hire: 雇佣 armored: 武装的,装甲的
我就会给自己雇一个气球驾驶员,再找一只武装白熊。
-Lyra: An armored bear?
武装白熊?
-Lee Scoresby: There's one in town.
城里就有一只。
Iorek Byrnison's his name.
他的名字叫做Iorek Byrnison。
Works at the sled depot behind Arson's Bar.
sled: 雪橇 depot: 停车场
在Arson酒吧后面的雪橇站工作。
He would be good to have on your side in a scrap.
scrap: 打架
战斗的时候有他在你这一边会好很多。
Not that you're looking for that.
如果不是的话要赶快弄一只来。
-Fader Coram: Lorek Byrnison, Lorek Byrnison. May I speak to you?
Lorek Byrnison,Lorek Byrnison,能和你谈谈么?
-Lorek Byrnison: What!?
什么?!
-Fader Coram: We want to offer you employment.
offer: 提供 employment: 雇佣,职业
我们想给你个活干干。
-Lorek Byrnison: I am employed. By the town's people.
我有工作,这城里的人雇我了。
I mend broken machinery. I lift heavy objects.
mend: 修理 machinery: 机械 lift: 抬起,起重 object: 物体
我修理损坏的机器,搬运笨重的货物。
-Fader Coram: What kind of work is that for a panser-bjorn?
对于一位熊族来说那算是什么工作?
-Lorek Byrnison: Paid work!
有报酬的工作!
-Lyra: Is that what they pay you? Whisky?
他们就拿那个当报酬么?威士忌?
Lorek Byrnison, you are the first Ice bear, I have ever met.
Lorek Byrnison,你是我见到的第一只冰雪之熊。