Green thumb 表示某些人非常擅长种花、种菜,有特殊的园艺才能。
a green-thumbed gardener 指的就是“园艺高手”,再例如:Thanks to my mother's green thumb, we usually had vegetables fresh from the garden. (多亏了妈妈擅长种植,我们总能从花园里摘到信息的蔬菜。)
water 作动词时,表示“浇水”。
We need to water the lawn.
我们要给草坪浇浇水。
pull weeds 拔草
We pulled weeds from the garden.
我们在花园里拔草。
mow the lawn 修剪草坪
My mother asked me to mow the lawn.
妈妈让我去修剪草坪
pick 采摘
Our grapes are picked by hand.
我们的葡萄都是手工采摘的。
prune 修剪
You should prune back the unwanted branches.
你应该将不要树枝都剪掉。
graft 嫁接
He grafted the branch onto the apple tree.
他将这根树枝嫁接到了苹果树上。
potting soil 盆栽土
He rooted the tulip bulbs in potting soil.
他将郁金香球茎植在盆栽土里,等着生根。
sprout 发芽
The tree is already sprouting leaves.
那棵树已经开始发芽了。
shrivel up 使......干枯
The heat shriveled up the plant's leaves.
炎热的天气下,叶子都枯萎了。